Friday, April 25, 2008

The real deal

I have a little bit of a rant....so bear with me.
I belong to Curves and they just started this new system. I had to go in and get weighed and measured. They all but gave me a colonoscopy- they were so thorough.
(I actually really like the program;but this is not a commercial for Curves. I just want to set the stage for this rant.) As I mentioned, a very thorough exam including BMI and blood pressure. After all the 'history' they ask you your goals, goal weight, why you are working out ect..
Fine.
I tell her that really I just want to have more energy, I want to be able to run around and keep up after my toddler. I just want to be healthy.
So she asks me what is my goal weight? I say really I don't know, I don't have a goal weight...I guess my goal is to not gain weight. I am working out for the multitude of other positive effects you get from working out, not just weight loss. So she tells me that "according to Kaiser (hospital)I am overweight and you should weight 165."

A. effing Kaiser, I dont think I have ever weighed 165
B. effing society, we put more emphasis on weight than on health

Honestly, I dont mind my weight. I like myself, really. I am basically healthy, have a great family, I can walk,run,ride bikes,touch my toes, do yoga & pilates.
I am not an athlete by any stretch of the imagination; but I am not a BonBon eating
fat couch potato either. I feel good about myself and according to some statistic,I have to loose 60 pounds. Its all a bunch of crap. What about my 7 aunts that are all almost carbon copies of my body and weight? What about the fact that I have 1 aunt that has had lipo twice and is back,again, to the same weight? I do think genetics comes in to play. I dont think it is as easy to just look at this and that and 'poof' your weight should be this.
I can see how weight and self esteem can get away from so many girls/woman.
Here are my new weight rules:

1. I will work out b/c my body needs it and it is good for me.
2. I will watch what I eat and not watch the scale. Everything in moderation, for me, is the best thing.
3. I will do the SELF challenge because it looks fun!
4. My goal is to not gain weight and just feel good.

The rest will fall inline. I will either be a statistic of just plain ol' me. And really, I am fine, with just plain ol' me.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I am so with you Kelley. Who has the right to set a predetermined "overweight" category. All body types are different. I know for me "normal" weight is between 120 and 145!! I would be a twig if I were 120!!

I just wanted to be able to go to the doctor without being told I needed toloose weight. So I decided to get myself into the normal category but just under the max weight. so tomorrow I go for the first time to the doctor since loosing my weight. For the first time I won't have to hear the dreadful words!

Ithink as long as you feel good, eat healthy, and stay active you are on the right track!

BTW - Curves Smart ROCKS!!!!